Egyptian Red Crescent works to achieve the ultimate goal of
alleviating humanitarian sufferings especially for those in
Believing in the power of humanity and strength of our volunteer
network, Egyptian Red Crescent works as an auxiliary body to the
government and as a part of the international Red Cross/ Red
Crescent movement to provide effective and timely response in
crisis and help people to survive and recover. We work with
vulnerable communities to strengthen their own capacities to
respond to disasters and recover afterwards.
Being part of the international Red Cross/ Red Crescent
movement, Egyptian Red Crescent is guided by the seven principles
of the movement; humanity, impartiality, Neutrality, Independence,
Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality.
Our strategic directions
- In order to fulfill our humanitarian responsibilities, we adopt
the following strategic directions:
- Increasing ERC capacities both on the institutional and
operational levels for continuous improvement of service
- Focus on longer-term disaster risk reduction plans of actions
and building community resilience.
- Adopting integrated approaches that address various
vulnerability aspects including health, social and developmental
- Promoting volunteerism and encouraging youth empowerment and
- Working with local communities and encouraging their inclusion
through participatory approaches to ensure sustainable community
- Building partnerships on the national and international levels
to ensure coordination and successful cooperation.
Our fields of work
ERC works in various fields that all lead to reducing
humanitarian sufferings and improving lives of less-advantaged
- Disaster Management: preparedness, response
and recovery are the three main domains that collectively form the
disaster management cycle. Guided by its disaster management
strategy and plan of action, ERC responds to all national disasters
as well many regional and international ones.
- Health services and health promotion: various
activities including blood banks and blood donation, primary health
care services, vaccination campaigns and hygiene and health
promotion are conducted by ERC all over the country.
- Social services: rural, urban and suburban
development is an important area of action that ERC gives special
attention. Slums development is among our main concerns.