ERC Disaster Management Strategy
Purpose and Guiding Principles
This disaster management strategy endeavors to enable the Egyptian Red Crescent (ERC) to play a competent humanitarian role in cases of disasters. The strategy provides guidance and prioritizes the strategic interventions for disaster management.
The guiding principles for this strategy are derived and inspired by IFRC strategies,MDG, lessons learned from previous experiences of ERCas well as other actors, and are in line with the National disaster management plan.
The ultimate goal of the Egyptian Red Crescent is to alleviatesuffering of the vulnerable people and preserve human dignity especially in cases of disasters through utilizing the power of humanity.
Context is based on the devoted humanitarian work on relevant areas in IFRCstrategy, MDG and National plan:
- Saving lives can be achieved through reducing child mortality, improving maternal health and combatting emerging / re-emerging diseases. All these risks might be aggravated by disaster occurrence.
- Enabling healthy safe living by working on eradication of extreme poverty, on universal primary education and on environmental stability. All these negative factors are enforced in cases of disasters.
- Promoting social inclusion and culture of peace through promoting gender equality and stimulating global partnership for development. These would be positive factors in limiting hazards of disasters.
Strategic Directions and Enabling Actions
- Several Issues to be respected:
- Principles of the movement
- IFRC strategies
- The national plan
- ERC statutes and bylaws
- Developingan Action Plan with periodic updating considering :
- Types of potential disasters
- Lessons learned.
- Making use of previous experiences, relevant disasters managing programs, training programs curriculae, raising community awareness and advocacy for voluntary work.
- Conducting simulation exercises.
- Monitoring and periodic assessment to help conducting necessary modifications.
- Cooperation and coordination with local, regional and international organizations.
- Continuous dialogue with the National authorities,components of the RC/RC movement, UN and non-UN relevant organizations, civil society …etc.
- Encouraging and strengthening community participation in all phases.